Tummy Tuck Surgery in Melbourne
Many men and women desire to have a trimmer, firmer abdomen. For individuals who have found that diet and exercise are not enough to achieve these aesthetic goals. At Maxwell Plastic Surgery in Melbourne, the tummy tuck procedure, technically known as an ‘abdominoplasty’, is the most commonly performed procedure and can produce very dramatic results.
Not intended to take the place of diet and exercise, a tummy tuck can assist in getting rid of excess skin and fat found in the upper and lower abdominal region. This procedure is an excellent solution for:
- Individuals who have attempted to tone their mid-sections without significant improvement or have reached a stagnant end point
- Women whose abdominal muscles and skin have been stretched by pregnancy
- Candidates who have lost a substantial amount of weight
Mr Maxwell specialises in tummy tuck and other body contouring surgeries. To learn more about abdominoplasty costs and to determine whether a tummy tuck is the right choice for you, schedule an appointment with Mr. Maxwell, one of Melbourne’s leading cosmetic plastic surgeons, today.
View our tummy tuck before and after gallery below
Performed under general anaesthesia, the placement of the incision is determined pre-operatively, designed to be hidden under bathing costumes and underclothes.
- The incision extends from one hip to the other, but due to its favourable anatomical location and the fact that gravity is ‘helping’, the resulting scar is usually excellent, fading to a pale line over twelve months. The scar may widen somewhat over time, depending on how tight the abdomen has been pulled.
- The tummy skin is then lifted up as far as the bottom of the breast bone providing access to the whole length of the vertical rectus muscles. Any gap between them is repaired by a running suture. In cases where the gap is too wide to be sutured together, synthetic mesh is used to repair the defect. With the patient flexed in the middle, the skin/fat excess is removed and the incision closed.
- Lastly the belly button (umbilicus), which is detached from the abdominal skin at the start of the procedure, is brought out through a new hole and sutured in place.
- Suction drains may be used
Depending on the amount of fat present, liposuction may be used during the procedure, especially at the ends of the incision in the hip areas.
Download Our Tummy Tuck Guide
Download this eBOOK on Tummy Tuck Surgery and Recovery from Abdominoplasty by Specialist Plastic Surgeons.
Discharge from hospital is usually on the third to fourth post-operative day.
- Post-operatively the patient wears a compression garment for 6 weeks
- Intravenous painkillers are used for the first 24 hours followed by oral medication
- Early mobilisation is critical to prevent deep vein thrombosis (DVT).
- The drain tubes may need to remain in place for up to a week.
- A recovery period of one to two weeks is required before patients are able return to work.
- Heavy lifting and working out should not be resumed until 8 weeks post-op to prevent disruption of the muscle repair or 12 weeks if mesh is required.
Mr. Maxwell has helped many individuals achieve a trimmer, firmer and smoother abdomen. For more information on our tummy tuck procedure and the expected results or cost involved at our Melbourne clinic, please contact us on (03) 8849 1462 or simply fill in the form on your right.
NEXT STEPS for a Consultation
Book your Initial Surgery Consultation
• Email us or Call on (03) 8849 1462 to arrange your surgeon consultation appointment.
• A Referral from your GP or specialist is helpful but NOT essential – you can have a consultation without a GP Referral
• Book a consultation with your Surgeon by paying the Consultation Fee (usually $250)
What to Bring to your Plastic Surgeon Consultation
• Bring a friend or relative to help discuss the information and your choices
• Take lots of notes and read the documents provided thoroughly
Want more information before scheduling your Plastic Surgeon consultation?
• Request more information about the procedure – call or contact us
• Book a Complimentary Nurse Consultation (FREE)
• Organise a phone call with Patient Advisor (FREE)
• Attend our Regular Practice (FREE) EVENTS – meet Surgeons, Patient Care Advisor and speak to other past patients
• Organise a Skype call consultation with a Surgeon (available for Interstate patients)
• Speak with a past patient that has had the procedure – contact us
• Browse our Frequently Asked Questions including including how to choose a Surgeon for your procedure
Please contact us using this form to arrange to book a consultation with our Specialist Plastic Surgeon(s) or to speak with our Patient Care Advisor.
Send an enquiry form today or phone (03) 8849 1462 during Clinic Hours.