Breast Reduction Surgery in Melbourne, VIC
Also known as ‘reduction mammoplasty’, Breast Reduction is a very popular surgery that can help reduce back pain, neck pain, shoulder ‘bra strap’ dig ins and many other discomforts of having large, heavy breasts.
Specialist Plastic Surgeon Mr. Maxwell has successfully performed countless breast reduction procedures for women with disproportionately large, uncomfortably heavy breasts.
If you identify as a woman who has breasts that are simply too large for your body frame (or breasts that are of a size that impacts on your daily activities such as exercising or sleeping comfortably), then a surgical breast reduction with Specialist Breast Surgeon Mr Richard Maxwell might help you enjoy a better quality of life.
Breast Reduction helps women through:
- Eliminating physical discomfort such as neck, back and shoulder pain or infection under the breasts
- Increased social confidence
- An ability to engage in a wider variety of activities
- Increased freedom with wardrobe options
For more information on how a breast reduction may be of benefit to you, contact us on (03) 8849 1462 to schedule a personal consultation with Mr. Maxwell.
How Breast Reduction Surgery Can Help You
Breast Reduction surgery, technically called a Reduction Mammoplasty, can help women with large, heavy breasts to give you enhanced overall body proportions and a lighter, balanced bosom area.
- Breast Reduction surgery can help women gain better balance or more harmonious body proportions
- A Reduction Mammoplasty can also help women suffering from macromastia or gigantomastia
- Breast Reduction procedures are shown to help improve posture and reduce neck, shoulder and back pain
- Reduction surgery can give you more freedom to exercise
- You’ll often notice you feel more confident socially – and not have to tolerate unwanted comments or attention relating to the size of your chest
Breast Reduction: Is a Reduction Mammoplasty procedure right for you?
If you’re considering breast reduction surgery, you may have been thinking about getting a Reduction Mammoplasty for a very long time.
Most women who eventually choose to undergo breasts reduction surgery have often suffered for several decades, and finally make the change. Consumer forums regularly report that patients have high satisfaction rates and far less neck, back and shoulder pain after their Breast Reduction Surgery.
If you’re tired of ‘carrying around’ heavy, overly-cumbersome breasts, ask Plastic Surgeon Mr Richard Maxwell about your options for a Breast Reduction Mammoplasty. He’s a highly experienced Breast Specialist Surgeon who has over 25 years of experience performing successful breast reduction procedures, including additional breast-area liposuction to get an optimal shaping result.
Breast Reduction Surgery (Reduction Mammoplasty): What does Surgery involve?
Each procedure is customised by Mr Maxwell to meet your unique needs and overall body proportions. This will be discussed with you in detail during your initial consultation.
Your Breast Surgery procedure will take into account:
- your overall body frame
- your preferred breast size
- chest width/chest size (your anatomy)
- breast size and breast weight
- existing breast tissue characteristics
- breast position
- nipple location and how you want it to look (Dr Maxwell can also reshape or reduce your nipples during the breast reduction procedure)
- your overall health and skin tissue health (elasticity and collagen and scarring tendencies)
- underlying chest muscles
Mr Richard Maxwell is also a post-weight loss body contouring expert for skin tightening and body lift surgery. Find out more by phoning us on (03) 8849 1462 or sending an Enquiry today.
Breast Reduction Surgery: The Procedure
There are a number of breast reduction techniques available, from the traditional ‘Inverted-T (or ‘Anchor’) scar pattern’ to the ‘vertical mammoplasty’ which virtually eliminates the long scar under the breast. This is called the Le Jour incision method.
- Taking 3 – 4 hours depending on breast size, the procedure involves reduction in the amount of breast tissue and of the skin envelope with re-siting of the nipple on the centre of the breast mound – a breast lift is an integral part of the surgical process.
- At the end of the operation, if required, a drain tube may be inserted on each side, and a support bra is fitted. Dr Maxwell aims for no-drain procedures, however, occasionally they will need to be used.
- The patient is discharged home on the 2nd, 3rd or 4th post-operative day, including after removal of the drain tubes IF these were required (for most patients drains will not be required).
Breast Reduction aftercare
The Breast Reduction patient is reviewed by Dr Maxwell 10 days following the surgery.
- The support bra is worn day and night for 2 weeks and then by day for a further 4 weeks. After that the patient may resume wearing underwire bras.
- Patients undergoing breast reduction surgery generally require 2 – 3 weeks off work.
- Driving can be resumed after 2 weeks.
- Walking is the best exercise in the first 6 weeks after surgery, after which jogging and gym work are permitted with a firm sports bra.
If you are considering a breast reduction, contact our Melbourne practice on (03) (03) 8849 1462 today!
* Younger women may be advised to wait until they have finished childbearing, especially as breast feeding cannot be guaranteed following the procedure.
* Smoking is a contra-indication to breast reduction surgery. The nicotine causes constriction of blood vessels which reduces the blood flow to the breast, and especially to the nipple, and may cause it to die (necrosis).
NEXT STEPS for a Consultation
Book your Initial Surgery Consultation
• Email us or Call on (03) 8849 1462 to arrange your surgeon consultation appointment.
• A Referral from your GP or specialist is helpful but NOT essential – you can have a consultation without a GP Referral
• Book a consultation with your Surgeon by paying the Consultation Fee (usually $250)
What to Bring to your Plastic Surgeon Consultation
• Bring a friend or relative to help discuss the information and your choices
• Take lots of notes and read the documents provided thoroughly
Want more information before scheduling your Plastic Surgeon consultation?
• Request more information about the procedure – call or contact us
• Book a Complimentary Nurse Consultation (FREE)
• Organise a phone call with Patient Advisor (FREE)
• Attend our Regular Practice EVENT (FREE) – meet Surgeons, Patient Care Advisor and speak to other past patients
• Organise a Skype call consultation with a Surgeon (available for Interstate patients)
• Speak with a past patient that has had the procedure – contact us
• Browse our Frequently Asked Questions including including how to choose a Surgeon for your procedure
Please contact us using this form to arrange to book a consultation with our Specialist Plastic Surgeon or to speak with our Patient Care Advisor.
Send an enquiry form today or phone (03) 8849 1462 during Clinic Hours.