Other Procedures at Our Practice in Melbourne, Victoria – Skin Cancer Treatment, Hand Surgery and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
Mr. Maxwell is a highly experienced reconstructive and hand surgeon and offers skin cancer treatment, hand surgery, and reconstructive surgery following trauma and cancer at his Melbourne, Victoria practice.
Skin Cancer Surgery / Melanoma
Mr. Maxwell has a huge experience in the diagnosis and treatment of benign and malignant skin lesions including melanoma. Patients are referred either by dermatologists or by their GP’s. In addition to excision of skin cancers, Mr. Maxwell performs sentinel node biopsy for melanomal and lymph node dissections if skin cancers have spread. Mr. Maxwell also works with oncologists and radiotherapists to provide multi-disciplinary management of skin cancer.
Mr. Maxwell has extensive experience in the surgical treatment of hand conditions such as carpal tunnel syndrome, trigger finger, ganglions and Dupuytren’s Contracture, and hand trauma including hand fractures, tendon injuries and microsurgical repair of nerves and blood vessels.joints of those digits. The hands are a very intricate area of the body, and a surgeon must have great skill, experience, and precision in order to operate on the hands successfully. Mr. Maxwell also performs surgery to relieve the pain and optimise the function of patients suffering from osteo-arthritis (especially at the base of the thumb) and rheumatoid arthritis, and performs wrist surgery for carpal bone fractures and ligament instabilities.
Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
Reconstructive surgery is performed to restore functionality and cosmesis to areas of the body that have been damaged by injury such as those sustained in motor vehicle or industrial trauma, or disease such as cancer. One example of the latter is breast reconstruction following mastectomy or lumpectomy and irradiation . This may be performed at the same time as the mastectomy (‘immediate reconstruction’) or in the months to years following it (‘delayed reconstruction’).
Breast Reconstruction Following Mastectomy
The type of reconstructive surgery performed after a mastectomy is known as breast reconstruction. This procedure is performed to re-create the breast and nipple, thus restoring the patient’s femininity and self-confidence. There are a number of techniques available, including ’tissue expansion’ and microsurgical transfer of lower abdominal tissue (‘free flap’ surgery). The reconstruction can be performed at the same time as the mastectomy, or months to years down the track.
NEXT STEPS for a Consultation
Book your Initial Surgery Consultation
- Email us or Call on (03) 8849 1462 to arrange your surgeon consultation appointment.
- A Referral from your GP or specialist is helpful but NOT essential – you can have a consultation without a GP Referral
- Book a consultation with your Surgeon by paying the Consultation Fee (usually $250)
Visit our FAQs pages, learn more about your procedure, have a look at the photo Galleries and patient reviews
What to Bring to your Plastic Surgeon Consultation
- Bring a friend or relative to help discuss the information and your choices
- Take lots of notes and read the documents provided thoroughly
Want more information before scheduling your Plastic Surgeon consultation?
- Request more information about the procedure – call or contact us
- Book a Complimentary Nurse Consultation (FREE)
- Organise a phone call with Patient Advisor (FREE)
- Attend our Regular Practice EVENT (FREE) – meet Surgeons, Patient Care Advisor and speak to other past patients
- Organise a Skype call consultation with a Surgeon (available for Interstate patients)
- Speak with a past patient that has had the procedure – contact us
- Browse our Frequently Asked Questions including including how to choose a Surgeon for your procedure
Please contact us using this form to arrange to book a consultation with our Specialist Plastic Surgeon or to speak with our Patient Care Advisor.
Send an enquiry form today or phone (03) 8849 1462 during Clinic Hours.